Managing Custom Fields
The ability to create Custom Fields is a powerful feature that is available for several entities in CloudBridal. By creating custom fields, you can track data points that CloudBridal does not offer out of the box. Rather than using something like a Notes field to type out some of this data, it is better to be consistent by using custom fields instead. Custom fields are currently available for the following entities:
- Order Measurements
- Inventory Items
- Purchase Orders
These entities all share the same way of creating and managing custom fields. To get started, you will need to go to the Settings page for the entity that you wish to create custom fields for, and then enable the Use Custom Fields checkbox. When you do so, you will see a green button labeled Add Custom Field.
Clicking this button brings up a dialog box with the following settings:
- Field Label: The label to display for the field.
- Field Type: The type of data stored in the field. The options are Checkbox, Currency, Date, Number, Phone Number, and Text.
- Display Mode: The Default display mode allows you to enter free-form text into the custom field. The Dropdown display mode will prompt you to create a list of selectable values, which is very handy when your custom field value is always within a constrained set of a few answers. See the below documentation for more information on this.
- Field Width: Defines how much space the field should take up in a form. This defaults to Automatic, which tries to set the field width based on the field's type. For example, checkboxes take less space than text strings. We recommend manually setting a field width to keep your interface clean and compact.
- Required: This will require that data be entered in this field before the form can be saved.
- Hidden: You can hide custom fields instead of deleting them if you wish to preserve old data. If you delete a custom field, you will permanently lose all data that has ever been entered into that field.
- Show in Related Reports: Enabling this will display the custom field in Reports that are related to the entity. For example, if you add a custom field to the Customers entity and then enable this setting, it will display the field in the Customers Registered report.
- (Printable data only) Show When Printing: Enabling this will display the custom field value when printing data that contains the custom field, such as a receipt. So for example, if you create a Customer custom field and enable this setting, it will display the custom field value when printing a receipt for that customer.
- (Date type only) Default to Today's Date: For Date custom fields, this will set a default value to today's date. This is useful for fields that should default to the present day unless overridden.
After creating a custom field, it will populate in the table of custom fields. If you have multiple custom fields, you can set their display order within this table by dragging the field's row into the desired position.
Dropdown Custom Fields
If you select the Dropdown display mode for a custom field, you will see a section appear at the bottom of the form to manage your values. The Dropdown Values form allows you to define values for the field.
This section allows you to set your field values, delete them, and change the order that they will display. So for example, a Currency custom field with the dropdown values $100 and $250 set will render like this: